Updated Nov 23, 2012 - 1:06 pm
Ray Horton: Wilson's benching won't change his role with team
But even the five-time Pro Bowler is not immune to a demotion now and again.
Wilson, who has 34 tackles and an interception on the season, did not start in the Cardinals' 23-19 loss to Atlanta Falcons.
The 11-year veteran declined to comment after the game, saying little more than that the decision was not his to make.
Head coach Ken Whisenhunt later said the decision was made to improve pass coverage -- an area Wilson hasn't been extremely effective in this season -- and that overall he was pleased with the results (season-high five interceptions) against the Falcons.
Friday, defensive coordinator Ray Horton said the move was done for more reasons than just schematic purposes.
"Hopefully the message that's being sent to everybody is that's important to do your job and do your job well," Horton said. "When you're in there it's not a right, it's a privilege to be in there and play defense."
Despite the benching of his star safety to begin last Sunday's contest, Horton doesn't expect Wilson's role to change at all.
"We're just trying to tweak some things and get some guys some opportunities," said Horton. "So where does [Wilson] fit in? Right where he's been. He's one of the leaders of our team."
Rashad Johnson, who started in place of Wilson, made the most of his opportunities in Atlanta. The fourth-year safety intercepted Matt Ryan's first pass of the game, which set up the Cardinals' lone touchdown.
Wilson's consecutive start streak was actually snapped earlier this season, when injuries to his groin and ankle kept him from playing in Arizona's Week 3 win over Philadelphia.
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b