Updated Dec 10, 2012 - 1:29 pm
Whisenhunt on job status: 'I control what I can control'
The organization hasn't been shy about letting go of a head coach following an embarrassing defeat. After Arizona was routed 48-7 by the Dallas Cowboys back in October 2000, team president Bill Bidwill and general manager Bob Ferguson fired head coach Vince Tobin a day later and replaced him with defensive coordinator Dave McGinnis.
While Whisenhunt didn't suffer the same fate Monday, he was asked about his job status and the relationship he has with team management.
"I've talked to Michael [Bidwill] every day," Whisenhunt said. "We talk about all kinds of things. You know I control what I can control.
"Like I said, I understand this business and I have a job to do. I feel disappointed we haven't done it."
With their loss on Sunday, the Cardinals have now been eliminated from postseason contention for the third consecutive year. And while Whisenhunt built up plenty of goodwill within the organization after leading the Cardinals to back-to-back division titles in 2008 and 2009, that seems like an afterthought these days in the midst of a nine-game losing streak.
Although it would be easy for the Cardinals coach to deflect the negative attention he and his woeful team have garnered around the Valley in recent weeks, Whisenhunt admitted Monday that the fans deserve better.
"My greatest disappointment is for our fans," said Whisenhunt. "They've been so good to me and to us. I feel like I've let them down from not being able to do what we wanted to do."
After the 2012 season, Whisenhunt still has one year remaining on his current contract for $5.5 million.
In 93 games as Arizona's head coach, Whisenhunt is 44-49.
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.