Updated Dec 28, 2012 - 4:45 pm
ESPN analyst: Brian Hoyer's promotion says more about John Skelton
While Arizona's game against the San Francisco 49ers will be Hoyer's first professional start, one ESPN analyst believes the move says less about the former Michigan State standout and more about John Skelton, the Cardinals' Week 1 starter.
"I guess [the decision to start Hoyer] tells you how bad they must think of John Skelton," ESPN analyst John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Thursday. "What has happened to John Skelton?
"He was good enough to beat out Kevin Kolb for the starting job, now he is in nowhere land."
Skelton has not played since Arizona's historic 58-0 loss to the Seattle Seahawks in Week 14. In that contest, Skelton was abysmal, throwing four interceptions on 22 attempts in the first half. It didn't help matters that the former fifth-round pick also lost a costly fumble.
In seven games this season, Skelton threw for 1,132 yards to go along with two touchdowns and nine interceptions. Skelton largely entered the 2012 season as the starting quarterback after leading Arizona to four wins in its final five games a year ago.
He was inactive for the team's game against the Chicago Bears in Week 16, signaling just how far he's fallen out of favor with Ken Whisenhunt.
While colleague Ron Jaworski raved about Hoyer's potential as an NFL starter, Clayton thinks the move will be a temporary one for the Cardinals.
"I think he was an efficient backup quarterback, one who can do some good things," said Clayton. "On a one-game basis it's okay, but look at the team he is facing [in San Francisco].
Hoyer, who comes into Sunday's game with 62 career pass attempts to his name, will face the 49ers' No. 4 ranked passing defense. The unit has already beaten Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Matt Stafford in 2012.
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?