Updated Jan 25, 2013 - 10:57 am
Fitzgerald speaks out on Cardinals, Pro Bowl
Patrick Peterson, Daryl Washington and Larry Fitzgerald, as expected, are facing questions in regards to their new head coach and their 2012 season gone bad.
"For me and my team, it wasn't a good year to be quite honest with you," Fitzgerald told NFL Network. "We're a long way from where we need to be, (and) I'm a long way from where I know I can be. So we're excited about the new season."
Fitzgerald also touched on the firing of the staff that worked with him over the last six seasons -- all of which ended in Pro Bowl appearances.
"It's a tough business," Fitzgerald said. "We lost some good coaches, but that's part of the business."
The hiring of new head coach Bruce Arians was a topic discussed with Fitzgerald for the first time on camera, as he has been on his annual vacationing rendezvous.
"I think he's a phenomenal coach," Fitzgerald said. "I got a chance to talk to him and met with him a couple times. He's really excited. He's offensive minded. Look at what he was able to accomplish in Indy with everything that transpired there that season, with a rookie quarterback (and) coach Pagano being sick. He had a lot of adversity to overcome and he was able to keep that team together."
With this being Fitzgerald's seventh Pro Bowl appearance -- most by any offensive Cardinal in franchise history --, he is taking this year's the most serious, as the Pro Bowl has been harshly criticized of the lackluster play by its athletes. The threat of the Pro Bowl leaving Hawaii -- or even cancelled -- is closer now than ever, and the players realize that.
"It's a privilege to be here among some of the great players in our league," Fitzgerald said. "We understand this is a big game, a big year. We want to keep it hear in Hawaii. We love it (here)."
- Forbes: Arizona Cardinals are NFL's 25th-most valuable team
- Larry Fitzgerald taking things on a year-to-year basis, not worried about future with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.