Updated Jan 25, 2013 - 10:57 am
Fitzgerald speaks out on Cardinals, Pro Bowl
Patrick Peterson, Daryl Washington and Larry Fitzgerald, as expected, are facing questions in regards to their new head coach and their 2012 season gone bad.
"For me and my team, it wasn't a good year to be quite honest with you," Fitzgerald told NFL Network. "We're a long way from where we need to be, (and) I'm a long way from where I know I can be. So we're excited about the new season."
Fitzgerald also touched on the firing of the staff that worked with him over the last six seasons -- all of which ended in Pro Bowl appearances.
"It's a tough business," Fitzgerald said. "We lost some good coaches, but that's part of the business."
The hiring of new head coach Bruce Arians was a topic discussed with Fitzgerald for the first time on camera, as he has been on his annual vacationing rendezvous.
"I think he's a phenomenal coach," Fitzgerald said. "I got a chance to talk to him and met with him a couple times. He's really excited. He's offensive minded. Look at what he was able to accomplish in Indy with everything that transpired there that season, with a rookie quarterback (and) coach Pagano being sick. He had a lot of adversity to overcome and he was able to keep that team together."
With this being Fitzgerald's seventh Pro Bowl appearance -- most by any offensive Cardinal in franchise history --, he is taking this year's the most serious, as the Pro Bowl has been harshly criticized of the lackluster play by its athletes. The threat of the Pro Bowl leaving Hawaii -- or even cancelled -- is closer now than ever, and the players realize that.
"It's a privilege to be here among some of the great players in our league," Fitzgerald said. "We understand this is a big game, a big year. We want to keep it hear in Hawaii. We love it (here)."
- Free agent kicker Jay Feely announces he's re-signed with Arizona Cardinals
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.