Updated Feb 3, 2013 - 3:18 pm
Report: Former Cardinals RB Stump Mitchell to be running backs coach
However, according to Mike Jurecki of XTRA Sports 910 in Phoenix, Valley fans might recognize who Arians has reportedly picked to be the team's new running backs coach.
Hearing Stump Mitchell will be the Cards RB's coach, played for the St. Louis/ Phx Cards 81-89... HC @ Casa Grande HS, Morgan St. & Southern— Mike Jurecki (@mikejurecki) February 3, 2013
As Jurecki noted, Mitchell played all nine of his NFL seasons with the Cardinals, both in St. Louis and Phoenix. During his two years at Sun Devil Stadium, Mitchell ran for 891 yards and four touchdowns.
Following his playing days, Mitchell went on to coach in the high school ranks, leading Casa Grande High School from 1993 to 1994.
He had his first taste of coaching in the NFL in 1999, when he served as the Seattle Seahawks running backs coach for eight years. Under Mitchell's tutelage, Seattle running back Shaun Alexander claimed the franchise's first MVP award in 2005.
In 2008, Mitchell served in the same role with Washington and the Redskins finished with the eighth-best rushing offense (130.9 yards per game) in the league.
Mitchell spent the last two-plus seasons as the head coach of Southern University. However after a rough start in 2012, he was reassigned to another position.
- Reunited with Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals tackle Max Starks looking forward to new challenges
- All-Access with Arians: Jobs still up for grabs, cuts will be difficult
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.