Updated Apr 30, 2013 - 5:09 pm
ESPN analyst: Cardinals, NFC West improved through draft
ESPN analyst John Clayton joined Doug and Wolf Tuesday on Arizona Sports 620 and became the latest to laud general manager Steve Keim and his staff for what they accomplished over the three days.
"I thought it was a very good draft," Clayton said. "First off, they get one of the best pass-blocking guards coming out in the last who knows how many years. Jonathan Cooper can flat-out pass block.
"I thought getting the third round pick was great. Honey Badger (Tyrann Mathieu) can come back and be a backup free safety or a starting free safety, I think he's a good fit. I think overall, it was a very good draft."
That seems to be the consensus, which is good news for the Cardinals. The bad news is the consensus also believes that the rest of the already-tough NFC West helped themselves as well.
Clayton believes the up-and-coming St. Louis Rams had the best draft in the division.
"Just from the standpoint that they were able to get two first round picks and first strategy got them them Tavon Austin, who I the is the most exciting player in the draft," he said. "Think about this division now. Good luck with the coverage because now you've got Tavon Austin and Percy Harvin. Wow. That's speed, explosiveness, all those different things. That's going to be coverage nightmares."
Clayton also applauded the San Francisco 49ers' draft class, which included LSU safety Eric Reid, Florida State defensive end Tank Carridine and South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore.
"This division is just amazing for the drafts, the aggressiveness -- all the things that didn't maybe four years ago -- it's happening now and it's happening in the right way."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.