Updated Sep 3, 2013 - 8:23 am
Rashard Mendenhall 'more than ready' for Arizona Cardinals' season opener
But that doesn't mean the newly-acquired running back won't play in the team's season opener Sunday against the St. Louis Rams. In fact, it's just the opposite.
"Rashard, I didn't let him go today, but he's more than ready," Arians announced after Monday's practice. "And Ryan (Williams) is full speed, so we're fully healthy at running back."
Mendenhall, who signed in the offseason as a free agent from Pittsburgh, ran well in the preseason, gaining 79 yards on 13 carries (6.1 yards per attempt). But he did leave the Cardinals' third preseason game against San Diego with what was described as "looseness" in his right knee.
The six-year veteran underwent an MRI following the San Diego game, but it came back negative.
Mendenhall ran for just 182 yards on 51 carries in an injury-plagued season for Pittsburgh in 2012. In five seasons with the Steelers, he ran for 3,549 yards on 864 carries while scoring 29 touchdowns.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals begin to move on without Darnell Dockett
- Forbes: Arizona Cardinals are NFL's 25th-most valuable team
- Larry Fitzgerald taking things on a year-to-year basis, not worried about future with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.