Cardinals' Arians, Peterson embrace defensive identity
For head coach Bruce Arians, that's exactly what he had in mind when taking over the Cardinals, saying he supports being known as a defensive-first team.
"I love it," Arians said. "That's always been my motto and we want to be dominant on defense. We'll scratch some points out, but we always want to be a dominating defensive football team."
Star cornerback Patrick Peterson, who has three interceptions on the year, agrees with that mentality.
"The saying always stands true: ‘Defense wins championships,'" Peterson said. "If we want to be a good ball club, our defense must be strong."
The Cardinals are coming off a strong defensive year in 2012, but a tough schedule, inactive players and getting used to a new coaching staff might have hidden the true talent level of the group. With tough matchups coming up in the next two weeks, against San Francisco and Seattle, Arians remains confident in his defense.
"I think our defense matches up with everybody," Arians said. "We've got good speed. We're starting to understand the defense better each week."
- Arizona Cardinals sign DT Tommy Kelly
- Report: Arizona Cardinals bring James Harrison in for a visit
- Arizona Cardinals RB Zach Bauman excited for 'opportunity to show what I can do' Thursday vs. Chargers
- Confident Chandler Catanzaro looks to prove himself as Arizona Cardinals kicker
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd named to Sports Illustrated's All-Breakout Team
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL Insider - Tuesday August 26Mike Sando takes us inside the NFL headlines.
- Who impressed/Who depressed - Monday August 25Vince praises Arizona's newest football dynasty.
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Monday August 25Bruce Arians says Jay Feely was let go early on so he can catch on with another team.