Cardinals' Arians, Peterson embrace defensive identity
For head coach Bruce Arians, that's exactly what he had in mind when taking over the Cardinals, saying he supports being known as a defensive-first team.
"I love it," Arians said. "That's always been my motto and we want to be dominant on defense. We'll scratch some points out, but we always want to be a dominating defensive football team."
Star cornerback Patrick Peterson, who has three interceptions on the year, agrees with that mentality.
"The saying always stands true: ‘Defense wins championships,'" Peterson said. "If we want to be a good ball club, our defense must be strong."
The Cardinals are coming off a strong defensive year in 2012, but a tough schedule, inactive players and getting used to a new coaching staff might have hidden the true talent level of the group. With tough matchups coming up in the next two weeks, against San Francisco and Seattle, Arians remains confident in his defense.
"I think our defense matches up with everybody," Arians said. "We've got good speed. We're starting to understand the defense better each week."
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Arizona Cardinals raving about how fast John Brown has picked things up
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson on contract extension: 'I haven't had my reality check just yet'
- The Floyd Factor
- Patrick Peterson becomes highest paid CB, Richard Sherman has something to say (tweet)
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.