Updated Feb 1, 2014 - 5:50 pm
Former Arizona Cardinals cornerback Aeneas Williams elected to NFL Hall of Fame
Cornerback Aeneas Williams was elected to the NFL Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio on Saturday -- making him the first player drafted by the Arizona Cardinals to be elected.
"All of us at the Cardinals are ecstatic for Aeneas who is a true Hall of Famer in every sense of the word," Cardinals president Michael Bidwill said. "His play on the field made him one of the NFL's all-time great players but his integrity and character were just as exceptional. Aeneas, Tracy and their family have been an integral part of the Cardinals family and I can't think of a better person to become the first from the team's Arizona era to be enshrined in Canton."
Selected in the third round out of Southern University 1991, Williams played the first 10 years of his 14-year career in Arizona. Joining Williams in the 2014 class are Michael Strahan, Walter Jones, Derrick Brooks, Andre Reed, Ray Guy and Claude Humphrey.
Williams made the Pro Bowl eight times and was named First-Team All-Pro three times. He finished his career with 677 tackles, 55 interceptions and 23 fumble recoveries while playing in 211 games -- including 180 consecutive starts between 1991 and 2002.
He scored 12 touchdowns -- nine on interceptions and three on fumble recoveries -- and was generally considered to be one of the best cornerbacks of his generation.
Williams became the 13th playere inducted into the Cardinals Ring of Honor in 2008,
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.