Updated Feb 1, 2014 - 5:50 pm
Former Arizona Cardinals cornerback Aeneas Williams elected to NFL Hall of Fame
Cornerback Aeneas Williams was elected to the NFL Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio on Saturday -- making him the first player drafted by the Arizona Cardinals to be elected.
"All of us at the Cardinals are ecstatic for Aeneas who is a true Hall of Famer in every sense of the word," Cardinals president Michael Bidwill said. "His play on the field made him one of the NFL's all-time great players but his integrity and character were just as exceptional. Aeneas, Tracy and their family have been an integral part of the Cardinals family and I can't think of a better person to become the first from the team's Arizona era to be enshrined in Canton."
Selected in the third round out of Southern University 1991, Williams played the first 10 years of his 14-year career in Arizona. Joining Williams in the 2014 class are Michael Strahan, Walter Jones, Derrick Brooks, Andre Reed, Ray Guy and Claude Humphrey.
Williams made the Pro Bowl eight times and was named First-Team All-Pro three times. He finished his career with 677 tackles, 55 interceptions and 23 fumble recoveries while playing in 211 games -- including 180 consecutive starts between 1991 and 2002.
He scored 12 touchdowns -- nine on interceptions and three on fumble recoveries -- and was generally considered to be one of the best cornerbacks of his generation.
Williams became the 13th playere inducted into the Cardinals Ring of Honor in 2008,
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!