Bruce Arians on coach/GM relationship: 'It's not about individual accomplishments'
Take, for instance, what is apparently happening in San Francisco with head coach Jim Harbaugh and GM Trent Baalke.
That's not the case in Arizona, though, as Bruce Arians and Steve Keim appear to be very much on the same page after just more than one year together.
"I think you set your ego at the door," Arians told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Friday when asked what the key to having a good relationship is. "You know, this is a team game. It's not about individual accomplishments."
You'd think that would be the mindset every coach/GM combo would have, given the symbiotic relationship the two have. If the GM gets good players, the coach looks better. And if the coach can get the most out of his players, the GM looks better.
It's really a win/win situation.
"The best thing, and when I came to Arizona for the interview, the thing that struck me most was Steve had a plan," Arians said. "It was the same type of plan, if I were a GM, I would have. So we had the same philosophy.
"It's not about who gets what credit; give him all the credit, he's young and he deserves it. I don't need it."
The Cardinals made 193 roster moves in 2013, and of the 53 players who finished the season on the active roster, 28 were not with the team the season before.
The team won 10 games -- double the previous season's total -- and you could point to both coaching and personnel moves as reason for the improvement.
It's a team effort, really.
"Everything we do is a Cardinal decision," Arians said. "Michael Bidwill is fantastic and we have a great three-way conversation about all the decisions that go on in this organization. It's fun to work here."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!