Updated Mar 28, 2014 - 2:09 pm
Arizona Cardinals GM: Tyrann Mathieu's rehab is 'really ahead of schedule'
It was a crushing blow to the team's secondary, forcing the star rookie to miss the final three games in what was otherwise a storybook season.
Since then Mathieu has had surgery and begun the rehabilitation process, and while his story may have added a chapter he was hoping to avoid, it appears he's ready to keep writing.
"He works his tail off and he's really ahead of schedule in his rehab," Cardinals GM Steve Keim told ProFootballTalk.
The exact schedule that Mathieu figured to be on was always a bit unclear, as every player is different with regards to how quickly they can return to the field after an injury like the one he suffered.
However, in an AZCardinals.com video series titled, "Tenacious," fans are given an inside look at what the 21-year-old is going through.
In the latest episode, which was released on March 19 and is the third in the series, Cardinals assistant trainer Chad Cook said Mathieu was moving into the next phase of his rehab.
"Now we're transitioning into that phase of just working on his range of motion, getting that full range of motion back, getting his strength back," he said.
In the video, Mathieu said there are some days where he feels better than others, which is to be expected when going through something like this.
But his progression, and that's the most important thing.
"To see the progression over the last couple weeks, it's been amazing," Cook said, pointing to some of what Mathieu is now able to do that he couldn't before, like wall squats. "He's making tremendous strides."
Of course, Mathieu still has a long way to go before he'll be back on the field, and what kind of player he'll be upon his return remains a question.
But if he is ahead of schedule as Keim says, we may find out soon enough.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.