New linebacker Ernie Sims feels 'at home' with Cardinals
Now the former Florida State Seminole may have finally found a home in Glendale.
"I like the pace here in Arizona," Sims told Bickley and Marotta Thursday afternoon on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "I like the feel of the coach, I like the feel of the players I like the feel of the environment. It makes me feel more comfortable and more at home."
Sims' newfound level of comfort is in part due to his familiarity with some of his Cardinals teammates. He played alongside defensive end Darnell Dockett and cornerback Antonio Cromartie at FSU.
"We go way back," Sims said. "Both of them are good friends of mine. He (Cromartie) stayed at my house plenty of times in high school."
While Dockett and Cromartie are both locks to start next season, Sims was brought in to add depth at the linebacker position after the suspension of Daryl Washington on May 29th.
"He's a veteran linebacker with speed whose played his best inside," head coach Bruce Arians said after OTAs Thursday. "It's a matter of throwing him into the mix and seeing what he can do."
If Sims is going to gain the attention of the coaching staff, he will have to learn Todd Bowles' 3-4 defense quickly. He was a part of Monte Kiffin's Tampa 2 defense in Dallas but added that he is willing to adjust.
"I'm a veteran I've been there done that," Sims said. "I've been through several schemes and I understand what offenses are going to try to do."
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.