Updated Jan 11, 2012 - 6:09 pm
Babby understands keeping Nash comes with risk
The president of basketball operations told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf the team will not look to trade the 37-year-old star, unless of course he decides he'd rather wear another team's uniform.
Could that decision lead to a 90s-era Celtics fall from grace, one that was precipitated by the team holding onto the remnants of its glory days while refusing to move on? Babby understands it is possible.
"That's a judgment you have to make," he said. "Will this result in slowing down our progress? Who knows. I don't think so, because I look and see what Steve and to the same extent Grant [Hill] do for Markieff Morris every day, teaching him how to be a professional and how to be a pro."
Indeed, a team full of youth -- promising, it may be -- is not guaranteed to find success. Because for every Chicago Bulls or Oklahoma City Thunder you find, there is also a Sacramento Kings, Washington Wizards or New Jersey Nets.
It's tough to win without a superstar player, like a Derrick Rose or Kevin Durant, but even then it's important to have veteran leaders to help lead the way -- at least early on.
"I don't think you can accomplish this if you don't have a rudder," Babby said of the rebuild. "You can't just have young guys and do it that way unless you have the right role models for them.
"That's what we believe in and we hope it all turns out to be right."
Of course, Babby said things could always change, as Nash could decide he'd rather play for a contender than try to help the Suns rebuild. The point guard has no plans to ask for a trade, though, so it appears the front office will get to find out if their plan works.
If it does, the Suns should not find themselves down for long, if at all. If not, though, well, there could be some lean years ahead.
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.