Updated Jan 11, 2012 - 6:09 pm
Babby understands keeping Nash comes with risk
The president of basketball operations told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf the team will not look to trade the 37-year-old star, unless of course he decides he'd rather wear another team's uniform.
Could that decision lead to a 90s-era Celtics fall from grace, one that was precipitated by the team holding onto the remnants of its glory days while refusing to move on? Babby understands it is possible.
"That's a judgment you have to make," he said. "Will this result in slowing down our progress? Who knows. I don't think so, because I look and see what Steve and to the same extent Grant [Hill] do for Markieff Morris every day, teaching him how to be a professional and how to be a pro."
Indeed, a team full of youth -- promising, it may be -- is not guaranteed to find success. Because for every Chicago Bulls or Oklahoma City Thunder you find, there is also a Sacramento Kings, Washington Wizards or New Jersey Nets.
It's tough to win without a superstar player, like a Derrick Rose or Kevin Durant, but even then it's important to have veteran leaders to help lead the way -- at least early on.
"I don't think you can accomplish this if you don't have a rudder," Babby said of the rebuild. "You can't just have young guys and do it that way unless you have the right role models for them.
"That's what we believe in and we hope it all turns out to be right."
Of course, Babby said things could always change, as Nash could decide he'd rather play for a contender than try to help the Suns rebuild. The point guard has no plans to ask for a trade, though, so it appears the front office will get to find out if their plan works.
If it does, the Suns should not find themselves down for long, if at all. If not, though, well, there could be some lean years ahead.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday April 17Lon Babby reacts to the Suns' season and talks with the guys about the optimism surrounding the org
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday April 17What should we make of the Sunsí season?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.
- The DISH - April 16, 2014 - Wednesday April 16Jon Bloom gives us The Day in Suns' History.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 15Dan goes off on the Suns missing the playoffs.