Updated Jun 11, 2012 - 6:26 pm
Phoenix Suns to work out UNC's John Henson
Earlier Monday, reports surfaced indicating the Suns could have interest in point guard Damian Lillard from Weber State.
Now comes word the Suns are scheduled to work out forward John Henson of the North Carolina Tar Heels. According Sam Amick of SI.com, Phoenix is one of a few teams Henson is set to visit.
North Carolina's John Henson wraps up workout in Sacto (No. 5), says he's going to Portland (No.6) tomorrow, then Phoenix (No. 13), Golden State (No. 7), Houston (No. 14 & No. 16), Toronto (No. 8), Philadelphia (No. 15), and Cleveland (No. 4). "It's going to be a long two weeks, but I'm ready for it," Henson said.
Henson's minutes increased his junior season and his game has gradually improved. He possesses strong upside on defense and is a particularly strong shot blocker. However, he lacks size and will have to bulk up if he hopes to have those skills make the transition to the NBA.
The 6'11", 220-pound junior ranks fourth in UNC history in blocked shots with 178 in 73 games. Scouts also have reportedly been impressed by Henson's ability to defend the pick and roll and guard forwards on the perimeter.
Offensively, Henson's game is still developing, but his defense and rebounding are the known quantity.
Many mock drafts have Henson being a top-10 pick, but if he falls to 13, the Suns would be wise to consider bringing him on board.
Henson averaged 13.7 points, 2.9 blocks and 1.3 assists in 35 games last season.
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.