Updated Jun 11, 2012 - 6:26 pm
Phoenix Suns to work out UNC's John Henson
Earlier Monday, reports surfaced indicating the Suns could have interest in point guard Damian Lillard from Weber State.
Now comes word the Suns are scheduled to work out forward John Henson of the North Carolina Tar Heels. According Sam Amick of SI.com, Phoenix is one of a few teams Henson is set to visit.
North Carolina's John Henson wraps up workout in Sacto (No. 5), says he's going to Portland (No.6) tomorrow, then Phoenix (No. 13), Golden State (No. 7), Houston (No. 14 & No. 16), Toronto (No. 8), Philadelphia (No. 15), and Cleveland (No. 4). "It's going to be a long two weeks, but I'm ready for it," Henson said.
Henson's minutes increased his junior season and his game has gradually improved. He possesses strong upside on defense and is a particularly strong shot blocker. However, he lacks size and will have to bulk up if he hopes to have those skills make the transition to the NBA.
The 6'11", 220-pound junior ranks fourth in UNC history in blocked shots with 178 in 73 games. Scouts also have reportedly been impressed by Henson's ability to defend the pick and roll and guard forwards on the perimeter.
Offensively, Henson's game is still developing, but his defense and rebounding are the known quantity.
Many mock drafts have Henson being a top-10 pick, but if he falls to 13, the Suns would be wise to consider bringing him on board.
Henson averaged 13.7 points, 2.9 blocks and 1.3 assists in 35 games last season.
- The Pulse: Suns fans feel offseason has been 'incomplete'
- Phoenix Suns' Miles Plumlee named to 2014 USA Men's Select Team
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.