Updated Jan 18, 2013 - 4:53 pm
Phoenix Suns do not have replacement for Alvin Gentry lined up
The Suns, with a record of 13-28, had the worst record in the NBA's Western Conference. They've lost 13 of 15 games, and have shown little sign of being ready to turn the corner.
Yet, when asked who the team would hand the reins over to, Suns president of basketball operations Lon Babby did not have an answer.
"We will definitely have an interim coach, just as sort of proof positive that none of this was planned, it just kind of came about in the last 24 hours, we're going to spend a little bit of time talking to some of our internal candidates," Babby said when discussing the team's decision with the media Friday. "It will be an internal candidate who will be our interim coach, and I hope that we'll have that resolved in the next 24, 36, 48 hours."
The Suns do not play again until they take the court Wednesday in Sacramento, so it is not as if the team needs to have a new boss in place immediately.
Earlier Friday, Yahoo Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski tweeted that assistant coach Elston Turner and assistant head coach for player development Lindsey Hunter were candidates.
But apparently that decision will not be made for a little while, as for now the Suns are focused on finding the right guy to lead them for the next 41 games.
And only the next 41 games.
"It will be an interim coach," Babby reiterated.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Dave Pasch, voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Wednesday March 12Dave Pasch explains what it is like to work with Bill Walton.
- The DISH - March 12, 2013 - Wednesday March 12Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns' History.
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea