Updated Feb 12, 2013 - 1:28 am
Former Suns owner Jerry Colangelo: Dan Majerle is 'a lunch bucket guy'
"When you think of Dan Majerle, you think of a guy who gave maximum effort in every game, every practice, in everything he did," Colangelo said.
Those intangibles not only made Majerle an asset on the court, but also as an assistant coach with the organization for five-plus seasons.
It's the reason many were surprised in January that Majerle was passed over by the Suns in favor of Lindsey Hunter for the interim head coaching position.
While Thunder Dan's number wasn't called in Phoenix, his former boss was more than happy to give a glowing review of the former All-Star on Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Monday.
"Dan Majerle is a working class guy from Michigan," Colangelo said. "He's a lunch-bucket guy, that's who he really is. The doctors (before the draft) told us to stay away from him because of his bad back and the pins in his ankles.
"What they didn't tell us is about his heart. He overcame all of those obstacles through hard work, commitment, toughness, all of the intangibles you look for in athletes. That's who Majerle is."
While there are very few remnants left from Colangelo's days (1968-2004) with the organization, the founding father of the Suns said he hopes the team's rebuilding process is a rather short one.
"I'm hoping for the best for them," said Colangelo, now chairman of USA Basketball. "I gave birth to the franchise. I love the franchise. I hate to see them lose any games. I hate to see any of the negativity that's taken place.
"I'm hoping this ends quickly and that they can turn this thing around."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle to enter NBA draft
- Jeff Hornacek: We got it back to Phoenix Suns basketball
- Suns' Jeff Hornacek finishes behind Spurs' Gregg Popovich in Coach of the Year voting
- Phoenix Suns' vocal, emotional leader P.J. Tucker wants to return
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.