Updated Feb 18, 2013 - 2:20 pm
Suns guard Shannon Brown: Jerry Buss always had a friendly feel
Suns guard Shannon Brown knows all of that to be true. He also knows of an individual who cared about his players.
"He always had a friendly feel," Brown, a one-time Lakers guard, said. "When he was around or if ever you needed to reach out to him, he'll talk to you about whatever; whatever the case was. It was always positive. You never heard nothing negative coming from him at all."
Brown said he heard the news of Buss' passing once he arrived back in Phoenix following the All-Star break.
"He came to my wedding and that was huge," he said. "That showed me that he really cared about me as an individual and not just as a player that was basically working for him and somebody that he's paying.
"It's a sad situation all around," Brown continued. "My prayers go out to him and his family."
Brown played two-plys seasons with the Lakers before joining the Suns. He was a part of the Lakers' championship teams in 2009 and 2010, two of the 10 NBA titles won under Buss' ownership after purchasing the franchise in 1979.
"Those were some of my best years, thus far, even though I'm still young and got hopefully a lot more years in the league," Brown said. "The Lakers are the team that let me showcase my abilities and got me two championships."
Suns managing partner Robert Sarver also reflected on Buss' passing in a statement released by the team:
"On behalf of the entire Phoenix Suns organization, our thoughts and prayers are with the Buss family. As an NBA owner, Dr. Buss was in a league of his own. I loved listening to his stories and appreciated his willingness to always engage in discussion and offer me positive encouragement and advice. He will be greatly missed."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe: 'I'm ready to go'
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset for success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?