Suns fall to Grizzlies, are eliminated from playoff contention: By The Numbers
Then things took a turn for the worst.
Phoenix has now lost three straight, capped off by a 97-91 loss to the Memphis Grizzlies on Monday at U.S. Airways Center -- eliminating the Suns from NBA playoff contention.
Here's a closer look at the loss, by the numbers:
Not a single sports team from the Phoenix area made the playoffs in seasons beginning in 2013, meaning Arizona's last playoff appearance came when the Phoenix Coyotes were eliminated by the Los Angeles Kings in the 2012 Western Conference Finals -- a span of about 600 days.
Two Grizzlies set season scoring highs -- Zach Randolph with 32 and Mike Miller with 21 off the bench.
The Suns managed their fourth sellout of the season in their biggest game of the year, announcing a crowd of 18,422.
Continuing a common trend from this season, five Phoenix players scored in double figures: Every starter but P.J. Tucker, and Markieff Morris scored a team-high 21 off the bench.
Suns guard Gerald Green managed just seven points on 2-of-4 shooting in the game, and was obviously a defensive key for each of the Suns' final few opponents.
Phoenix used a 14-0 run between that spanned the end of the second quarter and beginning of the third to erase the Grizzlies' 13-point lead and take a one-point lead of its own.
The Suns managed to drop 40 points in the paint against the Grizzlies -- but Memphis did them one better, scoring 50 in the paint.
The Suns will finish the season with at least 47 wins -- well over projections that had them finishing the season with somewhere between 20 and 25 and being one of the league's worst teams.
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.