Updated Oct 25, 2013 - 10:05 am
Matt Williams to be named Nationals manager
Arizona Sports' Paul Calvisi has confirmed Arizona Diamondbacks third base coach Matt Williams will be hired as the new manager of the Washington Nationals.
This story was first reported by Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports, and sources said the official announcement will take place after the World Series.
This will be the first big-league managing job for the former Diamondback player and coach.
Williams, 47, became a coach for the Diamondbacks in 2010 after several years as a team broadcaster. His name has been linked to the Washington managerial position for months. Davey Johnson retired as Nationals manager following the 2013 season and will transition into a consultant for the team.
Randy Knorr, who served as bench coach under Johnson and openly expressed interest in the managerial job, will reportedly remain as Williams' bench coach.
Williams becomes the fourth member of Gibson's 2013 staff to leave the organization. Pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax were relieved of their duties earlier this month, and hitting coach Don Baylor assumed the same duties with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.