Updated Oct 25, 2013 - 10:05 am
Matt Williams to be named Nationals manager
Arizona Sports' Paul Calvisi has confirmed Arizona Diamondbacks third base coach Matt Williams will be hired as the new manager of the Washington Nationals.
This story was first reported by Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports, and sources said the official announcement will take place after the World Series.
This will be the first big-league managing job for the former Diamondback player and coach.
Williams, 47, became a coach for the Diamondbacks in 2010 after several years as a team broadcaster. His name has been linked to the Washington managerial position for months. Davey Johnson retired as Nationals manager following the 2013 season and will transition into a consultant for the team.
Randy Knorr, who served as bench coach under Johnson and openly expressed interest in the managerial job, will reportedly remain as Williams' bench coach.
Williams becomes the fourth member of Gibson's 2013 staff to leave the organization. Pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax were relieved of their duties earlier this month, and hitting coach Don Baylor assumed the same duties with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
- Does Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Trevor Cahill pitch better when Tuffy Gosewisch is catching?
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.