Updated Oct 25, 2013 - 10:05 am
Matt Williams to be named Nationals manager
Arizona Sports' Paul Calvisi has confirmed Arizona Diamondbacks third base coach Matt Williams will be hired as the new manager of the Washington Nationals.
This story was first reported by Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports, and sources said the official announcement will take place after the World Series.
This will be the first big-league managing job for the former Diamondback player and coach.
Williams, 47, became a coach for the Diamondbacks in 2010 after several years as a team broadcaster. His name has been linked to the Washington managerial position for months. Davey Johnson retired as Nationals manager following the 2013 season and will transition into a consultant for the team.
Randy Knorr, who served as bench coach under Johnson and openly expressed interest in the managerial job, will reportedly remain as Williams' bench coach.
Williams becomes the fourth member of Gibson's 2013 staff to leave the organization. Pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax were relieved of their duties earlier this month, and hitting coach Don Baylor assumed the same duties with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.