Updated Nov 8, 2013 - 4:03 pm
Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan: Turnovers have been the issue in losses
The Coyotes are averaging just over nine giveaways in their six losses this season, and captain Shane Doan said coach Dave Tippett has been stressing improvement in that area recently.
"He gets on us just about taking care of the puck," Doan told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday.
Doan noted the team's style of play requires strong puck control, but sometimes it can be a double-edged sword.
"As a team, we're getting more and more into a team that plays with the puck, and when you do that, there's going to be nights where it gets away with you," Doan added. "When we're playing well, we play with the puck."
In particular, Doan said it starts with the team's defensemen, as they set the tone for offensive attacks.
"Our blue-line holds onto it and makes teams chase," Doan said. "Our blue-line is as good as any team in the league at spreading the other teams out and making the puck work. But when we struggle, it's because we're making bad decisions with the puck and we're giving them free opportunities."
In three goal loss to the Ducks, Doan fell victim to the turnover bug himself, and said despite his first period goal, he was not at all pleased with his performance.
"That's as bad as I've played personally, letting my emotions get away and giving the puck away on the first goal," Doan said.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 27Would an NHL expansion benefit the Arizona Coyotes?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.