Phoenix Coyotes to honor members of 1980 USA hockey team
The "Miracle on Ice" is coming to Glendale.
Prior to the Feb. 7 game against the Chicago Blackhawks, the Phoenix Coyotes will honor 13 members of the gold medal-winning 1980 USA Olympic Hockey team.
"We are thrilled to welcome so many players from the United States' Miracle on Ice team to the Valley," said Coyotes President and CEO Anthony LeBlanc in a press release. "The Coyotes are excited about the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics and we couldn't think of a better way to get all of our fans excited about the upcoming Olympic Games than by honoring the greatest and most memorable U.S. Olympic team of the 20th Century."
Captain Mike Eruzione, Dave Silk, Rob McClanahan and Ken Morrow are among the players who will attend the event.
The team defeated the Soviet Union 4-3 in the semifinals of the 1980 Lake Placid Olympic Games. Prior to the loss, the USSR had won every world tournament and championship dating back to 1954.
After defeated the Soviet team, the U.S. went on to beat Finland in the final.
The win was dubbed the "Miracle on Ice" and was the focus of the 2004 movie "Miracle."
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?