Phoenix Coyotes to honor members of 1980 USA hockey team
The "Miracle on Ice" is coming to Glendale.
Prior to the Feb. 7 game against the Chicago Blackhawks, the Phoenix Coyotes will honor 13 members of the gold medal-winning 1980 USA Olympic Hockey team.
"We are thrilled to welcome so many players from the United States' Miracle on Ice team to the Valley," said Coyotes President and CEO Anthony LeBlanc in a press release. "The Coyotes are excited about the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics and we couldn't think of a better way to get all of our fans excited about the upcoming Olympic Games than by honoring the greatest and most memorable U.S. Olympic team of the 20th Century."
Captain Mike Eruzione, Dave Silk, Rob McClanahan and Ken Morrow are among the players who will attend the event.
The team defeated the Soviet Union 4-3 in the semifinals of the 1980 Lake Placid Olympic Games. Prior to the loss, the USSR had won every world tournament and championship dating back to 1954.
After defeated the Soviet team, the U.S. went on to beat Finland in the final.
The win was dubbed the "Miracle on Ice" and was the focus of the 2004 movie "Miracle."
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.