Updated Apr 8, 2014 - 9:37 pm
Coyotes drop fifth in a row in loss to Blue Jackets: By The Numbers
Up 2-1 by the time the first intermission commenced against the Blue Jackets in Columbus, the Coyotes found themselves down 3-2 heading into the last minute of play, causing them to yank goaltender Thomas Greiss from net.
And then they provided the carrot of hope: an Oliver Ekman-Larsson goal with just 14.2 seconds to go, tying things 3-3.
A point was in hand, but another one wouldn't be in order for Dave Tippett and company.
Here's a look at the loss, by the numbers:
The Coyotes were 0 for 2 on the power play Tuesday, also failing to capitalize on the Blue Jackets' 12 giveaways in the contest.
Since Thomas Greiss took over between the pipes for Mike Smith, he's received the lowest goal support (1.4 GPG) in the league. In fact, the three goals scored Thursday were tied for the most since Smith's injury back on March 24.
The Coyotes have now dropped five games in a row with their last win coming in New Jersey on March 27.
The Coyotes were masterful this season in Tuesday games, however they dropped their lost two to fall to 12-4-2.
Oliver Ekman-Larsson narrowly kept the Coyotes in the running for a point Tuesday, by scoring his 15th goal of the season with just 14.2 seconds remaining in the game.
Shane Doan scored his 21st goal of the season in the first period to put the Coyotes up 2-1.
The Coyotes grabbed their 88th point with the overtime loss Tuesday, remaining ninth in the standings, two points behind the Dallas Starsa, who beat the Nashville Predators in a shootout.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 27Would an NHL expansion benefit the Arizona Coyotes?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.