Updated Dec 7, 2011 - 4:54 pm
Report: Sun Devils to hire June Jones as head coach
It's June in December.
Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro reports ASU is set to hire June Jones as head coach, adding "look for a press conference Thursday or Friday."
The decision to hire Jones, according to Arizona Sports 620's Paul Calvisi, was reached late Tuesday night.
Jones, 58, spent the last four years at Southern Methodist University, leading the Mustangs to a 23-28 mark. Prior to that he went 76-41 at Hawaii.
An offensive-minded coach, Jones is known for using a pass-heavy offense. He takes over a program that many thought underachieved the last few seasons, though scoring points was not really the problem this past year.
At any rate, Jones will take over for the fired Dennis Erickson, and like the man he replaced, also has a history in the NFL.
Jones coached the Atlanta Falcons from 1994-96, guiding them to a 19-29 record and one playoff appearance, and was also the interim coach for the San Diego Chargers in 1998, going 3-7.
Jones' name was first linked to the ASU job over the weekend, but that idea seemed to cool down and the coach allegedly told his team and staff at SMU that he was staying.
Jones is expected to bring recruiting coordinator Adrian Klemm with him.
- Arizona State football creates 'Honor Row' to recognize current and past military at home games
- High Octane Hour with Arizona State's Graham begins next week
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!