Updated Dec 7, 2011 - 4:54 pm
Report: Sun Devils to hire June Jones as head coach
It's June in December.
Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro reports ASU is set to hire June Jones as head coach, adding "look for a press conference Thursday or Friday."
The decision to hire Jones, according to Arizona Sports 620's Paul Calvisi, was reached late Tuesday night.
Jones, 58, spent the last four years at Southern Methodist University, leading the Mustangs to a 23-28 mark. Prior to that he went 76-41 at Hawaii.
An offensive-minded coach, Jones is known for using a pass-heavy offense. He takes over a program that many thought underachieved the last few seasons, though scoring points was not really the problem this past year.
At any rate, Jones will take over for the fired Dennis Erickson, and like the man he replaced, also has a history in the NFL.
Jones coached the Atlanta Falcons from 1994-96, guiding them to a 19-29 record and one playoff appearance, and was also the interim coach for the San Diego Chargers in 1998, going 3-7.
Jones' name was first linked to the ASU job over the weekend, but that idea seemed to cool down and the coach allegedly told his team and staff at SMU that he was staying.
Jones is expected to bring recruiting coordinator Adrian Klemm with him.
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.