Updated Dec 7, 2011 - 4:54 pm
Report: Sun Devils to hire June Jones as head coach
It's June in December.
Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro reports ASU is set to hire June Jones as head coach, adding "look for a press conference Thursday or Friday."
The decision to hire Jones, according to Arizona Sports 620's Paul Calvisi, was reached late Tuesday night.
Jones, 58, spent the last four years at Southern Methodist University, leading the Mustangs to a 23-28 mark. Prior to that he went 76-41 at Hawaii.
An offensive-minded coach, Jones is known for using a pass-heavy offense. He takes over a program that many thought underachieved the last few seasons, though scoring points was not really the problem this past year.
At any rate, Jones will take over for the fired Dennis Erickson, and like the man he replaced, also has a history in the NFL.
Jones coached the Atlanta Falcons from 1994-96, guiding them to a 19-29 record and one playoff appearance, and was also the interim coach for the San Diego Chargers in 1998, going 3-7.
Jones' name was first linked to the ASU job over the weekend, but that idea seemed to cool down and the coach allegedly told his team and staff at SMU that he was staying.
Jones is expected to bring recruiting coordinator Adrian Klemm with him.
- ASU's Todd Graham a finalist for Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year Award
- Doug Franz College Football Playoff - Final
- Bowls feature impressive gift packages for participating teams
- Arizona State accepts invitation to play in 2013 Holiday Bowl against Texas Tech
- Some things are more disappointing than Arizona State's loss to Stanford
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN College Football Analyst - Monday December 9ASU's heartbreaking loss, the other Championship Saturday games and Selection Sunday.
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.