Updated Jan 19, 2012 - 12:07 pm
ESPN's McShay really likes Brock Osweiler
Osweiler did become the first quarterback in ASU history to throw for more than 4,000 yards in a single season, but the Devils lost five straight games to finish the year a disappointing 6-7 and the junior from Kalispell, Montana only has 15 career starts on his résumé.
There seems to be some uncertainty as to where Osweiler could fall in the draft, but one of the foremost experts in the business, Todd McShay of ESPN and Scouts, Inc., thinks the ASU product could rise into the late first round come April.
McShay and Mel Kiper discussed on ESPN's Sportscenter Thursday morning which quarterbacks could follow Andrew Luck of Stanford and Robert Griffin III of Baylor in the pecking order of this year's first round.
"Brock Osweiler, the more tape I watch out of him coming out of Arizona State, the more impressed I am with him," McShay said. "He's got a unique delivery and he's not very fundamentally sound yet, but he's got unbelievable physical tools and he's a very good leader. I think he could move into that first round."
McShay also mentioned Ryan Tannehill of Texas A&M and Arizona's Nick Foles as candidates to improve their stock enough to hear their names called in the first round, but Kiper disagreed.
"I'd say right now, I can't see any of those quarterbacks going in the late first, based on grade. We thought Andy Dalton was going to be a first round pick and he didn't go until the early second round," he said. "If Andy Dalton's not a first round pick, I can't see Osweiler, Foles or Tannehill, and Tannehill's got an injury right now, I can't see how any of those guys goes in the first round if Dalton's not a one, because these guys are not in the league in terms of grade where with what Dalton had going into this draft."
The NFL Draft begins April 26th.
Osweiler/QB discussion begins at 4:17 mark of video
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.