Updated Nov 23, 2011 - 1:51 pm
ESPN NCAA analyst says Rodriguez hire is a 'home run'
Baggage included, the prevailing thought is Rodriguez will succeed where others have not. A guest on Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo, ESPN NCAA analyst Mark May said it is as "home run hire."
"If you look at the coaching landscape right now, if you want to get a hot coach with a great resume, who's out there," he asked. "Rich Rodriguez."
Rodriguez brings a career 120-84-2 record into Tucson, but followed a wildly successful seven-year stint in West Virginia with a pretty disappointing three-year run in Michigan. That didn't scare off Arizona, and May thinks it's a good thing.
"People say, ‘Well, he did a bad job at Michigan,' he said. "His offense always led the Big Ten or they were first and second in total yardage or scoring in the Big- 10, it was his defense that was the problem."
Michigan ranked among the worst in the country on the defensive side of the football during Rodriguez's tenure, and he went through two defensive coordinators in three seasons.
So even though Rodriguez's teams can score points with the best of them, they will still have to find a way to stop the other team. Hiring the right defensive coordinator will be key, and May has a suggestion.
"Go find Randy Shannon, the former coach at Miami," he said. "One, it gives you an imprint in South Florida, recruiting. Two, the guy did a great job as a head coach and was a master at defense.
"He's a defensive coordinator and can recruit that side of the ball. So basically I would hire a guy like that and say ‘this is your defense, you run it; I'm going to concentrate on the offense.'"
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.