Updated Jan 12, 2012 - 2:45 pm
Keala King gives 'statement' on twitter
King, along with fellow sophomore Kyle Cain and junior Chris Colvin, was suspended for last weekend's trip to Los Angeles for "unacceptable conduct".
Following the trip, Sendek made the decision to dismiss King from the team, despite ASU's 5-10 record and lack of depth at the point guard position, where King had been starting, admittedly out of position.
On Thursday, as his former teammates prepare for their Pac- 12 home opener against Oregon, King has finally issued a statement, sort of.
King tweeted Thursday morning, the first we've heard from the sophomore.
At his weekly press conference Wednesday, Sendek talked at length about the decision to boot King off the team.
I just think that it's important, regardless of circumstances, that we maintain certain standards and expectations. We spent a lot of time together and in the final analysis it just seemed to me that it made great sense for our program and for Keala, that he have a new beginning. That's never an easy decision when you're wrestling with a young man's future. That's an agonizing process. But being as close to the situation as I was, on a daily basis it became fairly clear to me that it would benefit our program and, just as important, that it would benefit Keala to have a new beginning. Standards and expectations are important for us and they're also important for him.
King had been averaging 13.7 points and 3.3 assists per game this season after averaging only 3.7 points per contest as a freshman last season.
- Shaquielle McKissic wins appeal, will return to ASU for another year
- ASU head coach Herb Sendek: Team will play 'more difficult' schedule in 2014-15
- ASU's Jahii Carson officially headed to NBA Draft
- Arizona State vs. Texas ranked as one of the top 2014 NCAA Tournament games
- Report: Arizona State assistant Eric Musselman resigns
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.