Updated Jan 12, 2012 - 2:45 pm
Keala King gives 'statement' on twitter
King, along with fellow sophomore Kyle Cain and junior Chris Colvin, was suspended for last weekend's trip to Los Angeles for "unacceptable conduct".
Following the trip, Sendek made the decision to dismiss King from the team, despite ASU's 5-10 record and lack of depth at the point guard position, where King had been starting, admittedly out of position.
On Thursday, as his former teammates prepare for their Pac- 12 home opener against Oregon, King has finally issued a statement, sort of.
King tweeted Thursday morning, the first we've heard from the sophomore.
At his weekly press conference Wednesday, Sendek talked at length about the decision to boot King off the team.
I just think that it's important, regardless of circumstances, that we maintain certain standards and expectations. We spent a lot of time together and in the final analysis it just seemed to me that it made great sense for our program and for Keala, that he have a new beginning. That's never an easy decision when you're wrestling with a young man's future. That's an agonizing process. But being as close to the situation as I was, on a daily basis it became fairly clear to me that it would benefit our program and, just as important, that it would benefit Keala to have a new beginning. Standards and expectations are important for us and they're also important for him.
King had been averaging 13.7 points and 3.3 assists per game this season after averaging only 3.7 points per contest as a freshman last season.
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.