ASU thoroughly outplayed in blowout loss to Utah: By the numbers
Funny what a difference a week or so can make.
While the Wildcats responded with a road sweep of Colorado and Utah, the Sun Devils went completely the other direction.
After falling to Colorado 61-52 Wednesday night in a rather listless performance, ASU came out with an even more dreadful display of basketball Sunday night at Jon H. Huntsman Center.
Paced by a 41-15 run to start the game, the Utes cruised to an 86-63 victory over the Sun Devils in a game that was never really in doubt after the opening tip.
Here's a look back at the 23-point loss by the numbers.
After a quick bucket by Shaquille McKissic, Arizona State never led in the contest. To open the game, ASU went 4-of-21 from the floor.
How bad were the Sun Devils offensively? The primary frontcourt of Jordan Bachynski, Eric Jacobsen and Jonathan Gilling combined to go 2-of-12 from the floor for seven points.
The maroon and gold's pair of losses marked the first time in 2013-14 they've been swept in a road Pac-12 series. With two in the loss column, ASU moved back into sixth place in the Pac-12 standings.
Sophomore guard Jahii Carson missed at least 10 shots in a game for the fourth time in his last five contests, going 3-of-13 from the field and scored eight points, which ties a season-low. Carson has only converted on 50 or more percent of shots one time since the start of Pac-12 play.
Freshman Egor Koulechov came into the contest with 11 total points in Pac-12 play. In a losing effort, he finished with 11 on 4-of-5 shooting to go along with a team-high eight rebounds.
After scoring a career-high 29 points in the win over Arizona on 11-of-23 shooting, senior guard Jermaine Marshall has gone ice cold. In his team's two weekend losses, Marshall scored a combined 14 points on 6-of-23 shooting.
ASU put up 65 total shots Sunday. Of those 65, Utah blocked an astounding 12 shots or 18.4 percent. Five different Utes had at least two swats on the evening.
The Sun Devils weren't severely outrebounded Sunday, but they didn't exactly make their mark on the glass. Utah held a 44-36 advantage on the boards, and all five starters grabbed at least five.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.