Justin Bethel scores first Cardinals TD of 2017 on a pick-six
— 🚨 Ronnie Laybold 🐾 (@YotesHereToStay) September 10, 2017
Justin Bethel allowed Carson Palmer a mulligan.
Minutes after the Cardinals quarterback threw a pass right to Lions defensive back Tavon Wilson, who returned it 23 yards deep into Arizona territory, Bethel picked off Matthew Stafford’s pass and returned it 82 yards for a touchdown, swinging the momentum back in his team’s favor.
Arizona took a 7-0 lead with 11:14 to play in the first quarter, and it came after the Cardinals offense put together a six-play, 19-yard drive on the first possession of the game that ended abruptly on Palmer’s interception.
Palmer’s pass on 3rd-and-12 at the Cardinals’ 42-yard line appeared to be a miscommunication, as no Cardinal was in the vicinity.
But there was Bethel, taking advantage of a Lions receiver getting caught up in traffic and using a few key blocks that allowed him to find the end zone.
- Cardinals’ top leaders attend QB Sam Darnold’s pro day
- 2017 Cardinals Karlos Dansby, Blaine Gabbert make free agent visits
- Chiefs sign DT Xavier Williams after Cardinals decline to match
- Report: Cardinals, others propose limit on early NFL start times
- Mathieu ready to take next step after Cardinals, Peterson