Justin Bethel scores first Cardinals TD of 2017 on a pick-six
— 🚨 Ronnie Laybold 🐾 (@YotesHereToStay) September 10, 2017
Justin Bethel allowed Carson Palmer a mulligan.
Minutes after the Cardinals quarterback threw a pass right to Lions defensive back Tavon Wilson, who returned it 23 yards deep into Arizona territory, Bethel picked off Matthew Stafford’s pass and returned it 82 yards for a touchdown, swinging the momentum back in his team’s favor.
Arizona took a 7-0 lead with 11:14 to play in the first quarter, and it came after the Cardinals offense put together a six-play, 19-yard drive on the first possession of the game that ended abruptly on Palmer’s interception.
Palmer’s pass on 3rd-and-12 at the Cardinals’ 42-yard line appeared to be a miscommunication, as no Cardinal was in the vicinity.
But there was Bethel, taking advantage of a Lions receiver getting caught up in traffic and using a few key blocks that allowed him to find the end zone.
- Report: Cardinals want second interview with Patriots’ Brian Flores
- NFL head coaching job tracker: Titans hire Mike Vrabel to replace Mularkey
- Armstrong, Wilks complete second interviews as Cards’ search rolls on
- Arians endorses Bettcher, Armstrong for Cardinals’ head coaching job
- PFF: Budda Baker a top performer among 2017 second rounders