According to a report on UFC.com, Arizona native Joe Riggs will finally make his long awaited return to the octagon against fellow welterweight Ben Saunders at UFC on FOX 13 in Phoenix.
Riggs (40-14), an Arizona native, has not competed under the UFC banners since suffering a first round knockout loss to Diego Sanchez at UFC Fight Night 7 back in 2006. ‘Diesel’ was originally scheduled to make his promotional return at UFC Fight Night 51 against Paulo Thiago. However, Riggs accidentally shot himself in the leg while cleaning his pistol at home, which him out of the bout.
Saunders (17-6-2) is coming off an incredible submission victory over Chris Heatherly at UFC Fight Night 49, where fans saw him lock on the first ever Omoplata in UFC history. Prior to this win he suffered a second round head kick knockout against current Bellator welterweight champion Douglas Lima in the co-main event of Bellator 100 at the Grand Canyon University Arena in September 2013.
UFC on FOX 13 is currently scheduled to take place on Dec. 13 at US Airways Center in downtown Phoenix. A heavyweight matchup between former champion Junior dos Santos and Stipe Miocic is set to headline the event.
Here’s how the UFC on FOX 13 card is shaping up:
- Junior dos Santos (16-3) vs. Stipe Miocic (12-1)
- Alistair Overeem (37-14) vs.Stefan Struve (25-6)
- Matt Mitrione (8-3) vs. Gabriel Gonzaga (16-8)
- Jamie Varner (21-10-1) vs. Drew Dober (14-6)
- John Moraga (15-3) vs. Jussier Formiga (17-3)
- Derek Brunson (12-3) vs. Ed Herman (22-10)
- Joe Rigs(40-14) vs. Ben Saunders (17-6-2)
- Joe Ellenberger (15-1) vs. Bryan Barberena (9-2)