Igor Kokoskov ranks among least popular coaches in NBA player poll
When looking back at Suns’ head coach Igor Kokoskov’s first season in Phoenix, it is safe to say that things were a little more rocky than he would’ve liked.
The Suns were once again stuck with one of the worst records in the league this year, and rumors regarding Kokoskov’s job security started to swirl shortly after the All-Star break, just nine months after being appointed to the job.
The team’s struggles can’t be solely attributed to Kokoskov, but the first-year head coach hasn’t won over many doubters this season. This is no more evident than in the results of The Athletic’s anonymous NBA player poll, which had Kokoskov listed as one of the coaches that players would least like to play for.
11. Which coach, aside from your own, would you not want to play for?
- Tom Thibodeau (34.6%)
- Jim Boylen (21.1%)
- Igor Kokoskov (11.5%)
- Nate McMillan (5.7%)
- Stan Van Gundy (4.8%)
- Gregg Popovich (3.8%)
- Lloyd Pierce, Quin Snyder, Erik Spoelstra, Rick Carlisle, Nick Nurse, Alvin Gentry, Luke Walton, Steve Clifford, Scott Skiles (2%)
- Jeff Van Gundy (1%)
Kokoskov was not the only Sun featured in the article, as two different players were also mentioned.
First, Mikal Bridges got a pair of votes for best defender in the league, which speaks volumes to the strides the No. 10 pick has taken during his rookie season.
2. Who’s the best defender?
- Kawhi Leonard (30.3%)
- Paul George (16.2%)
- Rudy Gobert (14.9%)
- Patrick Beverley (10.5%)
- Joel Embiid (4.4%)
- Jrue Holiday (3.5%)
- Giannis Antetokounmpo, Draymond Green, Kris Dunn (2.6%)
- Klay Thompson, Torrey Craig, Mikal Bridges, Marcus Smart (1.7%)
- Myles Turner; Kyle Lowry; Steven Adams; P.J Tucker; Royce O’Neale; David Nwaba (1%)
Finally, Devin Booker was rewarded for his great season by earning a lone vote for the league’s most underrated player.
6. Who’s the most underrated?
- Jrue Holiday (16.3%)
- Damian Lillard, Khris Middleton (6.8%)
- Mike Conley (6%)
- Bradley Beal, Kemba Walker, Lou Williams, C.J. McCollum (5.1%)
- D’Angelo Russell (3.4%)
- Malcolm Brogdon, Nikola Jokic, Tobias Harris (2.5%)
- Pascal Siakam, Buddy Hield, Steven Adams, Zach LaVine, Spencer Dinwiddie, Joe Harris (1.7%)
- Terrance Ferguson, Marcus Morris, Goran Dragic, Devin Booker, DeMar DeRozan, Danny Green, Justise Winslow, Danilo Gallinari, Bobby Portis, Colin Sexton, Emmanuel Mudiay, Will Barton, Austin Rivers, Eric Bledsoe, Ben Simmons, Nikola Vucevic, John Collins, Robin Lopez, Kyrie Irving, Jeremy Lamb, Derrick Favors, Robert Williams, Draymond Green, Paul George (1%; one vote)
- P.J. Tucker, Eric Gordon (0.5%; split vote)