Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu was named the NFC Defensive Player of the Week for his Week 3 performance in a 47-7 win over the San Francisco 49ers.
Mathieu intercepted two Colin Kaepernick passes, including one he returned for a touchdown in the first quarter to extend Arizona’s lead to 14-0 just six minutes into the game.
This marks the first time the third-year player has won the award. He’s the 26th different Cardinals player to earn Defensive Player of the Week honors.
On the season, Mathieu has 17 total tackles, good for second-most on the team.
- NL Wild Card tracker: D-backs fight for playoff positioning
- Cardinals discuss protests, say their actions will be ‘unified’
- Behind Enemy Lines: Arizona Cardinals open home slate against Cowboys
- Week 3 NFL Injury Report: Dallas Cowboys at Arizona Cardinals
- Dealing Cards: Peterson vs. Bryant highlights Monday Night showdown