Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu was named the NFC Defensive Player of the Week for his Week 3 performance in a 47-7 win over the San Francisco 49ers.
Mathieu intercepted two Colin Kaepernick passes, including one he returned for a touchdown in the first quarter to extend Arizona’s lead to 14-0 just six minutes into the game.
This marks the first time the third-year player has won the award. He’s the 26th different Cardinals player to earn Defensive Player of the Week honors.
On the season, Mathieu has 17 total tackles, good for second-most on the team.
- Free agent CB Robert McClain visiting Cardinals on Thursday, per report
- Cardinals’ top leaders attend QB Sam Darnold’s pro day
- 2017 Cardinals Karlos Dansby, Blaine Gabbert make free agent visits
- Chiefs sign DT Xavier Williams after Cardinals decline to match
- Report: Cardinals, others propose limit on early NFL start times