Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu was named the NFC Defensive Player of the Week for his Week 3 performance in a 47-7 win over the San Francisco 49ers.
Mathieu intercepted two Colin Kaepernick passes, including one he returned for a touchdown in the first quarter to extend Arizona’s lead to 14-0 just six minutes into the game.
This marks the first time the third-year player has won the award. He’s the 26th different Cardinals player to earn Defensive Player of the Week honors.
On the season, Mathieu has 17 total tackles, good for second-most on the team.
- Domino effect of Cardinals losing Kirk hurts Rosen most
- Cardinals DT Robert Nkemdiche heads to IR, needs knee surgery
- Loss to Lions keeps Cardinals in competition to earn top NFL Draft pick
- Lions adapt to injury, game-plan hurdles in win over Cardinals
- Record-setting Larry Fitzgerald praises young WRs in loss to Lions