Cam Newton makes surprise hospital visit to young Auburn fan
Cam Newton led the Auburn Tigers to a national championship in 2011, and shortly thereafeter became the first overall pick in the NFL Draft by the Carolina Panthers.
He hasn’t forgotten where he came from.
As reported by ESPN.com, Newton spent part of a recent day off in an Atlanta hospital making a wish come true for a 10-year-old Auburn fan who is dealing with a severe heart condition.
According to the story, Austin Deckard was diagnosed with advanced pulmonary hypertension, but received a visit from Newton the day before he was scheduled to undergo a risky procedure.
Evidently the story only got out when one of Austin’s school teachers posted about it on social media. In fact, it is because of social media that Newton even got involved.
“Austin told me he ‘wished Cam Newton could come to his birthday party,'” Cooper said in her post. “Austin may not ever make it to an Auburn football game but I know social media is a strong force that can make things happen.”
- Arizona Sports Fantasy Football Host League: Week 10 recap
- J.D. Martinez to return to Diamondbacks lineup Monday
- NFL.com writer: David Johnson is Cardinals’ 2017 MVP hopeful
- Cardinals playoff odds hang by a thread after loss to Dolphins
- Calais Campbell on hit that hurt Tannehill: ‘I reached out and I apologized to him’