Ketel Marte lines one-out walkoff as D-backs top Rockies
— Platano Power RD (@PlatanoPowerDO) July 2, 2017
The Arizona Diamondbacks keep finding ways to impress.
And like it’s been, a different player made the game-winning play for a 4-3 victory against the Colorado Rockies.
Shortstop Ketel Marte, in just his fifth game with the D-backs this year, stepped to the plate with runners on the corners and on a 1-2 count laced a ball to the left-center field wall to score Brandon Drury.
The hit off a fastball from Chris Rusin, which came after consecutive swinging whiffs on changeups, gave the D-backs their sixth walkoff of the year.
“He got me the first two pitches,” Marte told FOX Sports Arizona’s Jody Jackson. “I was behind in the count, but I never give up.”
Arizona led the Rockies, 3-2, heading into the ninth when Fernando Rodney allowed his first run in 19.1 innings dating back to April 29.
The blown save only set up fireworks for the bottom of the ninth.
— FOX Sports Arizona (@FOXSPORTSAZ) July 2, 2017
- NL West at All-Star break: Machado swings division in Dodgers’ favor
- All-Star SS Manny Machado traded to Los Angeles Dodgers
- Measuring D-backs pitcher Zack Godley’s decline in 2018
- Goldschmidt walks, Corbin and Greinke don’t pitch in All-Star Game
- Paul Goldschmidt gets start as DH in 2018 MLB All-Star Game