D-backs will start Anthony Banda vs. Giants on Friday
Left-hander Anthony Banda will make his second MLB start for the Arizona Diamondbacks on Friday when they open a series against the Giants in San Francisco, the team announced.
Banda fills in for Robbie Ray, who went on the concussion disabled list after a comebacker struck him in the head last Friday in a game at St. Louis.
The 23-year-old Banda debuted July 22 against the Washington Nationals, going 5.2 innings while allowing seven hits, four earned runs and one home run. He struck out five and induced five grounders to 13 fly-outs in the 4-3 Diamondbacks loss.
Starting for San Francisco will be Madison Bumgarner, who is making his fifth start since returning from a disabled list assignment due to a shoulder injury suffered in a dirt bike accident.
Bumgarner has pitched well in his last two outings, going 5.0 innings with one run allowed in an 11-3 win against the Pirates on July 25, then going 7.0 innings of five-hit, scoreless pitching at Dodger Stadium this past Sunday.
- ESPN: Yasmany Tomas has the D-backs’ worst contract
- ESPN’s Olney: Red Sox offered Martinez deal in range of $100 million
- D-backs avoid arbitration with 9 players including Ray, Lamb, Pollock
- D-backs reach agreement with Brad Boxberger, avoid arbitration
- D-backs agree to one-year deal with Corbin, avoid arbitration