NAU gets 1st win of season 60-52 over CSU Bakersfield
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — Northern Arizona pulled away late to beat Cal State Bakersfield 60-52 on Saturday night for the Lumberjacks’ first win of the season.
Northern Arizona (1-7) closed a 14-1 run by capitalizing on back-to-back Bakersfield (4-5) turnovers in the penultimate minute. Damiyne Durham’s errant pass in the lane led to Torry Johnson’s fast-break layup and Brent Wrapp’s charging call led to Bowling’s jumper making it 58-49, the largest lead of the game with 53 seconds left.
CSUB led 48-44 with 8:44 left after an 8-2 run capped by Ricky Holden’s 3-pointer, but from there the Roadrunners committed eight turnovers on their way to losing their third straight.
Northern Arizona made 24 of 45 shots and had 24 turnovers to CSU Bakersfield’s 25 miscues.
Chris Bowling scored 17 points on 7-of-10 shooting and Shon Briggs and Moataz Aly had 11 points each. Jarkel Joiner scored 10 for the Roadrunners.
- NCAA’s NIL era arrives, some athletes are ready to cash in
- Suns surprise Central High School student with scholarship to NAU
- Arizona and Northern Arizona reach 10-year scheduling deal
- NAU basketball falls to UC Riverside in home opener
- Big Sky reveals Northern Arizona’s 6-game spring football schedule