Arizona Cardinals announce official 53-man roster on deadline
The Arizona Cardinals announced its roster cuts before the deadline on Saturday.
Notable players that made the initial roster were cornerback Brandon Williams and five undrafted rookies: wide receiver Trent Sherfield, linebacker Dennis Gardeck and defensive backs A.J. Howard, Zeke Turner and Deatrick Nichols. Tight end Jermaine Gresham (Achilles) and linebacker Markus Golden were also activated from the PUP list to the 53-man roster, the team announced.
Additionally, quarterbacks Sam Bradford, Josh Rosen and Mike Glennon all made the regular season team. Glennon, third on the depth chart during preseason, serves as insurance in case Bradford or Rosen get injured.
Arizona Cardinals first-year head coach Steve Wilks believed his team used the preseason to form an identity. Toughness, discipline and a run-heavy scheme flashed in four games leading into 2018.
Now, it’s time for the Cardinals to make the tough decisions.
The deadline for NFL teams to trim their rosters to 53 players for the season was at 1 p.m. Arizona time on Saturday. The moves the Cardinals made tell a bit about what Wilks will prioritize, which players the front office believes in and the style they expect to play with this coming season.
Notable cuts include wide receivers Brice Butler and Greg Little, former Arizona star linebacker Scooby Wright III, defensive end Cap Capi and fullback Elijhaa Penny.
The team announced the full list of cuts Saturday:
– Wide receiver Carlton Agudosi
– Offensive lineman Josh Allen
– Defensive tackle siupeli Anau
– Running back Sherman Badie
– Tight end Alec Bloom
– Wide receiver Brice Butler
– Cornerback Chris Campbell
– Defensive end Cap capi
– Safety Travell Dixon
– Wide Receiver C.J. Duncan
– Offensive lineman Will House
– Defense end Alec James
– Quarterback Charles Kanoff
– Wide receiver Greg Little
– Kicker Matt McCrane
– Linebacker Airius Moore
– Cornerback Jonathan Moxey
– Defensive tackle Owen Obasuyi
– Linebacker Matthew Oplinger
– Offensive lineman Vinston Painter
– Fullback Elijhaa Penny
– Offensive lineman Greg Pyke
– Linebacker Edmond Robinson
– Cornerback Tim Scott
– Defensive tackle Pasoni Tasini
– Cornerback Tavierre Thomas
– Wide receiver Jalen Tolliver
– Defensive tackle Tani Tupou
– Running back Darius Victor
– Tight end Andrew Vollert
– Offensive lineman Brant Weiss
– Tight end Bryce Williams
– Defensive tackle Nigel Williams
– Wide Receiver Corey Willis
– Linebacker Scooby Wright III
– Third-year linebacker Scooby Wright, the former Arizona Wildcats star.
– 2018 Sixth-round pick Chris Campbell.
– Tight end Alec Bloom.
– Rookie kicker Matt McCrane tweeted support and good luck to veteran Phil Dawson, a sign Arizona opted to retain their kicker from a year ago.
– Defensive end Alec James was released and expected to sign with the practice squad on Sunday.
– The Cardinals also moved defensive lineman Arthur Moats (knee) to injured reserve due to a knee injury and released safety Harlan Miller in an injury settlement (ankle).