Diamondbacks agree to extension with GM Mike Hazen
The Arizona Diamondbacks have agreed to a contract extension with general manager Mike Hazen.
MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert reports the extension had been discussed for the past 10 days. The length of the extension has not been reported.
The timing of the extension is notable given the potential threat of Hazen being swooped away by his former employer, the Boston Red Sox.
The D-backs’ GM for the past three seasons, Hazen had previously spent time in the Red Sox organization, who fired their president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski on Monday. While no interest or meetings had been reported, Hazen was naturally being linked to the position.
Hazen, who is from Massachusetts, joined the Red Sox as director of player development in 2006 and advanced his way to become general manager in 2015. Until Hazen joined the D-backs before the 2017 season, he worked in Boston as the top executive under Dombrowski.
Talking with 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station’s Doug & Wolf on Thursday, D-backs CEO and president Derrick Hall said there had been no indication from Hazen that he had interest in the Red Sox job.
“First and foremost, it’s good we haven’t had to worry about (losing Hazen) because we have not received a call,” Hall said Thursday. “It’s a very unique situation. We care deeply about Mike. He’s family. We believe he’s very happy here, he’s got a plan here. I want to see him follow that plan through, not only to finish but to continue beyond what he would consider finishing the plan because it never does end — and he’s building something here that’s very special.
“We’ll cross that bridge if and when we have to. Fortunately, we haven’t had to.”
The 43-year-old Hazen already has a handful of highly thought-of transactions on his record, such as extending All-Star center fielder Ketel Marte, trading for right fielder J.D. Martinez and getting catcher Carson Kelly and pitcher Luke Weaver in exchange for franchise first baseman Paul Goldschmidt.