Just five days after being designated for assignment, right-handed pitcher Allen Webster has been traded by the Arizona Diamondbacks to the Pittsburgh Pirates for cash considerations.
Webster, 25, was acquired by the D-backs last December in the deal that also brought Rubby De La Rosa and minor-league infielder Raymel Flores to Arizona and sent left-hander Wade Miley to the Boston Red Sox.
Webster struggled in his one season with the D-backs, posting a 1-1 record with a 5.81 ERA and a 1.677 WHIP in 31 innnings over nine games (five starts). He struck out 17 and walked 20 while allowing 10 home runs. He wasn’t any better for Reno in Triple-A, going 4-6 with an 8.18 ERA in 77 innings of work.
A former 18th-round pick of the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2008, Webster was once rated as high as the 46th-best prospect in baseball by MLB.com.
- NL West at All-Star break: Machado swings division in Dodgers’ favor
- All-Star SS Manny Machado traded to Los Angeles Dodgers
- Measuring D-backs pitcher Zack Godley’s decline in 2018
- Goldschmidt walks, Corbin and Greinke don’t pitch in All-Star Game
- Paul Goldschmidt gets start as DH in 2018 MLB All-Star Game