Los Angeles Dodgers sportscaster Vin Scully will retire after the 2016 season and it’s not been difficult to find reasons why the 88-year-old play-by-play man will be missed.
Scully, the voice of the Dodgers since 1950, was calling Los Angeles’ 5-2 win over the Arizona Diamondbacks on Thursday when D-backs shortstop Nick Ahmed gave his team a 1-0 lead with an RBI single.
That led to an epic, classic Scully commentary on Ahmed’s No. 13 jersey.
Scully probably has Dodgers fans convinced 13 isn’t always bad luck, but it had been in the series against the Diamondbacks. Ahmed recorded an RBI in every game while homering in the first two games of the series that Los Angeles won, 2-1.
Ahmed’s defense stood out last season but his start at the plate has been one of the most surprising storylines for Arizona early in 2016.
Ahmed is batting .300 through 10 games and 30 at-bats, and he is tied on the team for the second-most RBI (6) on the season. He’s in the top-three D-backs in on-base percentage, slugging and OPS as well.
- Sedona Red Recap: D-backs’ loss to Miami puts playoff clinch on hold
- D-backs’ Magic Number Countdown
- Sedona Red Recap: D-backs beat Marlins in back-and-forth thriller
- D-backs’ Chris Iannetta launches grand slam against Marlins, has 8 RBI
- Challenger Space Center exhibit to highlight Diamondbacks STEM Showcase