Whisenhunt: Getting points early important for Cardinals
The Cardinals don't need to just score points. They need to score points early.
"[Getting points early] is good, especially when you are on the road," Whisenhunt said. "It's important. It's something we need to do more of, whether it's at home or away."
In eight games this season, the Cardinals have scored just 32 first quarter points. Of those 32, only 10 have come in games current starting quarterback John Skelton started behind center.
In fact, Skelton hasn't thrown a first quarter touchdown since Week 10 of last season against Philadelphia.
During the Cardinals' current four-game losing streak the team has managed a combined 13 points in 48 minutes of play.
"It gives you confidence," said Whisenhunt. "It gives your defense, I don't want to say confidence, but it gets them excited too.
It's been a while since Whisenhunt's squad has played winning football, but the head coach said he hopes the Cardinals' ability to move the football in a hostile environment against New England back in Week 2 serves as a reminder that it can be done again.
Arizona will have its hands full Sunday in Green Bay, though. Although not thought of as one of the league's most intimidating defenses, the Packers this season have allowed just two points per game in the first quarter.
- Bradley Sowell, offensive line bounce back for Arizona Cardinals
- What a difference a year makes for Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker John Abraham's three-sack day puts him in historic company
- Larry Fitzgerald's big day leads Arizona Cardinals to win over St. Louis Rams
- Karlos Dansby continues happy homecoming with Arizona Cardinals
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?