Updated Nov 29, 2012 - 4:30 pm
ESPN insider expects Ray Horton to get head coaching interviews
Horton has helped transform one of the league's worst defenses into one of its best over the last two seasons, and a feat like that is not likely to go unrecognized or unrewarded.
There is some thought that perhaps the Cardinals, should they decide to part ways with Ken Whisenhunt, may look to promote the second-year coordinator.
If Whisenhunt stays, though, given the fact that Horton interviewed with the St. Louis Rams for their top job before the team chose Jeff Fisher, it stands to reason his name will be brought up when other openings arise.
"I think he can get one or two interviews, which I think is merited," ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday. "I don't necessarily know if he's, at this stage, ready to get a head coaching job."
"Clearly he's put himself in a position to get the interview," Clayton said. "Ray will go and use those interviews as a good education so that he can gear himself and be ready.
"I still remember talking to a lot of young coaches and the big thing is OK, it's nice to get a job, but it's better to get a job when you're ready to be the head coach."
Clayton said Horton has learned very fast, as he was a position coach as recently as two years ago.
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.