Updated Dec 10, 2012 - 1:29 pm
Whisenhunt on job status: 'I control what I can control'
The organization hasn't been shy about letting go of a head coach following an embarrassing defeat. After Arizona was routed 48-7 by the Dallas Cowboys back in October 2000, team president Bill Bidwill and general manager Bob Ferguson fired head coach Vince Tobin a day later and replaced him with defensive coordinator Dave McGinnis.
While Whisenhunt didn't suffer the same fate Monday, he was asked about his job status and the relationship he has with team management.
"I've talked to Michael [Bidwill] every day," Whisenhunt said. "We talk about all kinds of things. You know I control what I can control.
"Like I said, I understand this business and I have a job to do. I feel disappointed we haven't done it."
With their loss on Sunday, the Cardinals have now been eliminated from postseason contention for the third consecutive year. And while Whisenhunt built up plenty of goodwill within the organization after leading the Cardinals to back-to-back division titles in 2008 and 2009, that seems like an afterthought these days in the midst of a nine-game losing streak.
Although it would be easy for the Cardinals coach to deflect the negative attention he and his woeful team have garnered around the Valley in recent weeks, Whisenhunt admitted Monday that the fans deserve better.
"My greatest disappointment is for our fans," said Whisenhunt. "They've been so good to me and to us. I feel like I've let them down from not being able to do what we wanted to do."
After the 2012 season, Whisenhunt still has one year remaining on his current contract for $5.5 million.
In 93 games as Arizona's head coach, Whisenhunt is 44-49.
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.