GM Keim: Plenty to be optimistic about on offense for Cardinals
On Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Monday, Keim said that there were plenty of good performances to build on going forward for the Cardinals, namely the play of new quarterback Carson Palmer.
"I thought Carson did a nice job and it was nice to see a real NFL quarterback out there spinning the rock," Keim said, referring to last year's mess at the position.
Keim added that while the offensive line needs to protect Palmer better, starting with left tackle Levi Brown, he thought guard Daryn Colledge, center Lyle Sendlein and right tackle Eric Winston played hard. With Winston in particular, Keim praised how well he battled against Rams defensive end Chris Long, one of the best in the league at his position.
"The thing about Eric Winston, not everything he does may be pretty, but he's a guy that's just savvy and understands how to get things done," Keim said.
Another standout on offense for the Cardinals was wide receiver Andre Roberts, who had a great day with eight receptions for 97 yards.
"(Roberts) made some clutch catches in some contested situations," Keim said. "It was nice to see him come through (Sunday) and really put it all together."
Other players that Keim felt good about were wide receiver Michael Floyd and running back Rashard Mendenhall, who Keim thinks can be the team's answer at the position going forward.
"I think Rashard Mendenhall with his ability to break tackles, his foot speed and his elusiveness, I think he'll do some good things for us this year," Keim said.
He wasn't entirely satisfied with the team's defensive performance though, pointing to blown coverages and missed tackles and stressing they were going to be working on fixing that before their next game this Sunday against the Detroit Lions.
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.