Updated Jun 27, 2014 - 8:31 am
Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson lands on NFL Network's Top 100 list
Of course, a lot of that talk came directly from Peterson. In May, while a guest of Bickley and Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM, Peterson compared himself to Seattle Seahawks All-Pro corner Richard Sherman. The comments made national headlines and spurred widespread debate -- even among the two players.
Well, NFL Network has spoken on the subject -- sort of.
In their annual list of the Top 10 players in the league, the network has placed Peterson at No. 22, up 11 spots from last year's ranking.
Peterson was the sixth cornerback on the list, joining Miami's Brent Grimes (95), Denver's Aqib Talib (79), Chicago's Tim Jennings (74), Cleveland's Joe Haden (39) and New England's Darrelle Revis (37).
In Peterson's NFL Network highlight video, several NFL players commented on the fourth-year Cardinal's attributes.
"Patrick Peterson, every team he plays against, he takes on that challenge of going at their number-one receiver," Talib said. "I love how Richard Sherman plays, but Richard Sherman stays on the left side. He don't take on the challenge of guarding the other team's best receiver."
Atlanta wide receiver Roddy White chimed in as well.
"Phenomenal athlete," he gushed. "Patrick Peterson is 215 pounds, he's six-foot, he runs a 4.3 and has a 40-inch vertical. That's like wide receiver numbers at cornerback."
Peterson was the third Cardinal to land on the list. Suspended linebacker Daryl Washington was ranked 96th, while wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald came in at number 38.
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.