Updated Jun 27, 2014 - 8:31 am
Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson lands on NFL Network's Top 100 list
Of course, a lot of that talk came directly from Peterson. In May, while a guest of Bickley and Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM, Peterson compared himself to Seattle Seahawks All-Pro corner Richard Sherman. The comments made national headlines and spurred widespread debate -- even among the two players.
Well, NFL Network has spoken on the subject -- sort of.
In their annual list of the Top 10 players in the league, the network has placed Peterson at No. 22, up 11 spots from last year's ranking.
Peterson was the sixth cornerback on the list, joining Miami's Brent Grimes (95), Denver's Aqib Talib (79), Chicago's Tim Jennings (74), Cleveland's Joe Haden (39) and New England's Darrelle Revis (37).
In Peterson's NFL Network highlight video, several NFL players commented on the fourth-year Cardinal's attributes.
"Patrick Peterson, every team he plays against, he takes on that challenge of going at their number-one receiver," Talib said. "I love how Richard Sherman plays, but Richard Sherman stays on the left side. He don't take on the challenge of guarding the other team's best receiver."
Atlanta wide receiver Roddy White chimed in as well.
"Phenomenal athlete," he gushed. "Patrick Peterson is 215 pounds, he's six-foot, he runs a 4.3 and has a 40-inch vertical. That's like wide receiver numbers at cornerback."
Peterson was the third Cardinal to land on the list. Suspended linebacker Daryl Washington was ranked 96th, while wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald came in at number 38.
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.