Updated Jun 27, 2014 - 8:31 am
Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson lands on NFL Network's Top 100 list
Of course, a lot of that talk came directly from Peterson. In May, while a guest of Bickley and Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM, Peterson compared himself to Seattle Seahawks All-Pro corner Richard Sherman. The comments made national headlines and spurred widespread debate -- even among the two players.
Well, NFL Network has spoken on the subject -- sort of.
In their annual list of the Top 10 players in the league, the network has placed Peterson at No. 22, up 11 spots from last year's ranking.
Peterson was the sixth cornerback on the list, joining Miami's Brent Grimes (95), Denver's Aqib Talib (79), Chicago's Tim Jennings (74), Cleveland's Joe Haden (39) and New England's Darrelle Revis (37).
In Peterson's NFL Network highlight video, several NFL players commented on the fourth-year Cardinal's attributes.
"Patrick Peterson, every team he plays against, he takes on that challenge of going at their number-one receiver," Talib said. "I love how Richard Sherman plays, but Richard Sherman stays on the left side. He don't take on the challenge of guarding the other team's best receiver."
Atlanta wide receiver Roddy White chimed in as well.
"Phenomenal athlete," he gushed. "Patrick Peterson is 215 pounds, he's six-foot, he runs a 4.3 and has a 40-inch vertical. That's like wide receiver numbers at cornerback."
Peterson was the third Cardinal to land on the list. Suspended linebacker Daryl Washington was ranked 96th, while wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald came in at number 38.
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington 'physically ready for that pounding' he expects this season
- Reunited with Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals tackle Max Starks looking forward to new challenges
- All-Access with Arians: Jobs still up for grabs, cuts will be difficult
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.