Odds against Suns improving 2012 Draft position
"If we get that (number-one overall pick) I might have to act a little bit silly then," said Mark West, the former Suns center.
West, now the team's Vice President of Player Programs, will represent the Suns when the NBA holds its draft lottery Wednesday.
"You don't really want to be in the lottery," said West before he left for New York, "even though you know if you (win) you hopefully get a chance to improve your team."
The Suns chances at improving from their current draft spot at #13 are slim to say the least.
According to the odds posted on mynbadraft.com, the Suns have a 2.2% chance of moving into the Top 3 and only a 0.6% chance of landing the number-one overall pick.
The Charlotte Bobcats have the best odds at 25%.
"It's not something that you can have this big preparation for as far as if I do A, B, C and D I'll have a better chance of advancing in the lottery pool. You just kind of sit there and hope for the best."
West is making his second straight draft lottery appearance for the Suns, who missed the playoffs for the third time in four years.
"They make you up so the lights aren't blaring off your forehead," he said of his experience a year ago.
West did not plan on bringing any good luck charms with him. He is, however, bringing what he hopes is some good luck clothing.
"Just wear anything that I have that's been lucky for me in the past. Unfortunately, I can't wear that uniform where we beat Seattle and we got to the NBA Finals (in 1993).
"I'll have to go with a suit...tie my shoes: right foot first, left foot second. See if all of those things that helped me in the past as far as being superstitious...will help me moving forward. Throw in a few prayers here and there too."
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite
- Tom Chambers, Suns legend - Friday May 10Chambers tells Doug & Wolf who he'd like to see hired as the new head coach of the Suns
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Thursday May 9McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about what he's looking for in a new head coach