Updated May 29, 2012 - 5:30 pm
Odds against Suns improving 2012 Draft position
"If we get that (number-one overall pick) I might have to act a little bit silly then," said Mark West, the former Suns center.
West, now the team's Vice President of Player Programs, will represent the Suns when the NBA holds its draft lottery Wednesday.
"You don't really want to be in the lottery," said West before he left for New York, "even though you know if you (win) you hopefully get a chance to improve your team."
The Suns chances at improving from their current draft spot at #13 are slim to say the least.
According to the odds posted on mynbadraft.com, the Suns have a 2.2% chance of moving into the Top 3 and only a 0.6% chance of landing the number-one overall pick.
The Charlotte Bobcats have the best odds at 25%.
"It's not something that you can have this big preparation for as far as if I do A, B, C and D I'll have a better chance of advancing in the lottery pool. You just kind of sit there and hope for the best."
West is making his second straight draft lottery appearance for the Suns, who missed the playoffs for the third time in four years.
"They make you up so the lights aren't blaring off your forehead," he said of his experience a year ago.
West did not plan on bringing any good luck charms with him. He is, however, bringing what he hopes is some good luck clothing.
"Just wear anything that I have that's been lucky for me in the past. Unfortunately, I can't wear that uniform where we beat Seattle and we got to the NBA Finals (in 1993).
"I'll have to go with a suit...tie my shoes: right foot first, left foot second. See if all of those things that helped me in the past as far as being superstitious...will help me moving forward. Throw in a few prayers here and there too."
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Phoenix Suns GM on Eric Bledsoe: 'I think he will be back at the end of the day'
- Phoenix Suns go all in on two point-guard lineups
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.
- Chris Broussard, ESPN NBA insider - Thursday July 17ESPN NBA insider Chris Broussard gives his take on Eric Bledsoe’s contract situation with the Phoeni