Updated Dec 5, 2012 - 8:20 pm
Lon Babby: Gentry has Suns 'playing very hard'
"Alvin has us playing really hard," Babby told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf. "And that's what he should be doing."
A lot was made entering the 2012-13 season about Gentry's long-term future with the organization, after the Suns front office declined the opportunity to extend the 58-year-old coach in the offseason.
With his contract set to expire at season's end, it appears at the very least like Gentry may be playing the part of a lame-duck coach. But despite perception and the team's recent road struggles, Babby seems encouraged about the job Gentry has done through 19 games.
"I think Alvin has pushed the guys and gotten them to play hard," said Babby. "He has an upbeat personality and that's helpful when you're on the road for 11 days playing these teams."
While Babby admitted the team should probably have won against the Philadelphia 76ers, Toronto Raptors and Memphis Grizzlies, he said their effort level in the final game of the road trip was encouraging to say the least.
"The most dangerous game on our road trip was the last one on our schedule," said Babby referring to Tuesday night's contest in Memphis. "We were up 16 and should have won the game. We played a very, very good team very,very competitively which is reassuring on some level. But, it's better to win."
Now in his fourth full season Phoenix, Gentry has accumulated a record of 152-128 and most notably took the franchise to the Western Conference Finals back in 2009-10.
But the goodwill generated from that season has quickly dissipated, as the team has failed to make the playoffs in each of the last two seasons and looks well on their way to a lottery selection in 2013.
With nine new faces on the roster though, the question that will likely be asked over and over again as the season progresses: will Gentry be evaluated on his acumen as a coach or on the play of the personnel handed to him?
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Phoenix Suns GM on Eric Bledsoe: 'I think he will be back at the end of the day'
- Phoenix Suns go all in on two point-guard lineups
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.
- Chris Broussard, ESPN NBA insider - Thursday July 17ESPN NBA insider Chris Broussard gives his take on Eric Bledsoe’s contract situation with the Phoeni