Updated Jan 17, 2013 - 2:18 pm
Suns try to extend mastery over Bucks in Phoenix
Walter Davis led the Suns in scoring that night with 27 points and Alvan Adams came off the bench to contribute 12, but it wasn't enough as Milwaukee, coached by Don Nelson, triumphed 115-107 on February 21, 1987 at Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
Since then, the annual trip to the Valley of the Sun has ended in a loss for the group of players wearing green and red (or green and purple for an unfortunate stretch in the 90s).
A streak of dominance such as a 24-game winning streak like this one is rare in any sport. Does Gentry mention it to his players as a point of pride?
"No, no, no, no, no," he said. "It took 1969 years to get on the moon. Everybody has some kind of streaks. It's not the same team and we're not the same team. I don't see the relevance in it at all, really."
Milwaukee comes into the game with a new outlook as Jim Boylan replaced Scott Skiles as head coach last week. The Bucks have gone 3-2 since the move -- a stretch which started with a 108-99 win over the Suns in Milwaukee January 8. The stop in Phoenix will be Milwaukee's third on a four-game road trip that concludes in Portland Saturday.
The Suns are trying to bounce back from a loss to Oklahoma City Monday night and have lost 12 of their last 14 to fall into last place in the Western Conference at 13-27.
Jared Dudley, who has missed the last two games with a wrist injury, will be back in the starting lineup with Shannon Brown moving back to the bench.
According to Gentry, point guard Goran Dragic (ankle) and Jermaine O'Neal (back) are both available for action Thursday night.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: Suns fans feel offseason has been 'incomplete'
- Phoenix Suns' Miles Plumlee named to 2014 USA Men's Select Team
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.