Updated Jan 21, 2013 - 10:17 pm
Dan Majerle out as Suns assistant coach
Dan Majerle is out as Suns assistant coach, sorry about the misspelling on the first one— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) January 22, 2013
Majerle, who played eight seasons with the Suns and is one of the most popular players in franchise history, became an assistant coach in 2008 and guided the Suns summer league teams in Las Vegas for four seasons.
Majerle's status was up in the air after the Suns fired head coach Alvin Gentry Friday and named player development coordinator Lindsey Hunter as the interim coach Sunday -- bypassing both Majerle and Elston Turner, who has 14 years of assistant coaching experience in the NBA.
Majerle will be paid in full for the rest of the season.
The team was also planning a Dan Majerle Fathead promotional giveaway for the January 30 game against the Los Angeles Lakers, but that is now in doubt due to Majerle's departure.
Hunter will make his debut on the Suns bench Wednesday night in Sacramento against the Kings.
- Suns' Hornacek on Len, Goodwin: 'We couldn't just throw them out there and hope for the best'
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.