Updated Jan 13, 2013 - 10:47 am
Report: New York Yankees likely not in on Justin Upton
Although the New York Yankees are certainly in the market for a right-handed bat, Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reported Sunday that Brian Cashman and Co. probably won't be swapping phone calls with Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers.
The Yankees' newfound mantra of fiscal responsibility - a $189 million payroll in 2014, not a penny more - has stifled a number of potential moves this winter, including their willingness to meet the Diamondbacks' price for the two-time All-Star.
The Yankees indeed want to add a right-handed hitter but haven't picked up their pursuit of Upton in the days since he was nearly dealt to Seattle, according to major-league sources.
In addition to their desire to conserve payroll, the Bronx Bombers are not short on outfielders (Curtis Granderson, Ichiro Suzuki, Brett Gardner, Matt Diaz) and have a dearth of talented prospects in their farm system that would help consummate a trade.
So while the Yankees have been known to spend money at will in order to acquire the biggest name, don't expect Upton to trade in sedona red for pinstripes any time soon.
- Mark Grace named D-backs minor league hitting coach
- Luis Gonzalez: Mark Trumbo a Christmas gift for Paul Goldschmidt
- Diamondbacks extend relief pitcher Brad Ziegler
- D-backs pitcher Brandon McCarthy: Protective headgear will be available in 2014
- The Pulse: 'Let's wait and see' on Addison Reed-Matt Davidson trade
- Luis Gonzalez, D-backs World Series Legend - Friday December 20Gonzo discusses the Trumbo trade and what it means for the D-backs.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs Pitcher - Wednesday December 18D-backs trying to win now, Ziggy talks about what that means for the clubhouse.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?