Updated Mar 2, 2013 - 4:24 pm
Rangers knock around Diamondbacks, Wade Miley
Once Miley exited, Randall Delgado took the mound for two innings. He gave up a run on three hits and now in two appearances is sporting a 15.00 ERA (five earned runs in three innings). Delgado is in the mix, along with Tyler Skaggs and Patrick Corbin, for the fifth starter's spot in the rotation.
Offensively, the Diamondbacks collected nine hits -- two each by Paul Goldschmidt and Matt Davidson, who singled home the team's lone run in the bottom of the eighth. Goldschmidt is hitting .455 (5-for-11) in six games.
Aaron Hill was scratched from the starting lineup because of a tight left quad. "He's fine," manager Kirk Gibson said. "We ran the bases today. He took a lot of ground balls, made a comment to somebody on the training staff. I'm not going to fool around with it. There's no reason to do that."
He Said It:
"It didn't go great," Miley said. "I felt good though so I was kind of happy about that. Just getting back out there facing some hitters again, felt like the ball was coming out of my hand good. I wasn't locating the fastball; breaking stuff was okay. It's something to build off, definitely. "
Coming Up Next:
The Diamondbacks (4-4-1) play at the World Series Champion San Francisco Giants in Scottsdale Sunday, March 3. Josh Collmenter is the scheduled starter. Other pitchers expected to throw include David Holmberg, Eddie Bonine, Warner Madrigal, Eric Smith and Eury De la Rosa.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.